To promote the business interests of the Consulting Engineers of Manitoba: and to promote the application of engineering for the benefit of Society.
Increase Public awareness of the pivotal role that consulting engineers play in the application of technology, safety and protection of society.
Ensure Government recognition of consulting engineers' leading role in the management and application of technology , and of its benefit to Manitobans.
Continuously strengthen and increase Association membership.
Become the definitive voice on critical issues facing the consulting engineering industry.
Strengthen and increase the working relationships with organizations and associations closely affiliated with Manitoba's consulting engineering industry.
Promote the engagement of consulting engineering firms using the industry recognized process of Quality Based Selection (QBS).
Message From The President
Our organization was founded in 1978, and during my term as President, we will be celebrating our 35th anniversary. This milestone anniversary was only possible due to the determination, and hard work of all of the member companies and the volunteers who have so steadfastly believed in our overall mission to promote the business interests of the Consulting Engineers of Manitoba; and to promote the application of engineering for the benefit of Society. We all owe a great deal of thanks to all of those people who have worked so hard over the past 35 years to help our voice be heard.
In looking back over the past 35 years, it is incredible to consider the magnitude of changes that have occurred in our world, and which seem to be continuing at an ever increasing pace. Throughout this time, I believe our mission and goals have remained the same, despite the ever changing fabric of our times. Although, I am told, this generation communicates more often and more effectively than ever before, this huge increase in communications, and access has a price. It is now possible for anyone to be heard around the world, but the reality is, there is so much background noise, that despite the new technologies, it may be even harder to be heard than ever before.
In keeping with this reality and to ensure the success of our organization and by definition, our member companies, ACEC Manitoba has significantly increased our efforts to understand the needs of our member firms, and to effectively communicate those needs and concerns to the benefit all parties involved. ACEC Manitoba has embraced the new technologies to promote speed and effectiveness in communications, fully recognizing that the innovative ways of yesterday quickly become ineffective in the changing world. At the same time, ACEC Manitoba has been able to strengthen the foundations of our organization by cultivating personal relationships with government departments, clients, and related organizations.
Some of the recent significant activities that ACEC Manitoba has been involved to improve services to our members with include:
- Corporate Re-Branding
- New Web Site
- Establishment of a Twitter Account
- Launch of Manitoba Consulting Engineer Magazine
- Further enhancement and expansion of Young Professionals Group
- Expansion, Improvement and Re-Establishment of Client Receptions
- Improvement of the Annual Awards Gala
- Strengthening of our ties with related industry organizations such as APEGM; MAA CTTAM, ...
- Establishment of a new continuing Professional Development programs
- Establishment of News for Members Email Bulletins
We have substantially increased our advocacy role, and are actively making our members voice heard on a number of key issues including:
- Limitations of Actions Legislation implementation in Manitoba;
- The New City of Winnipeg, Permitting Process;
- The proposed New West Trade Partnership
- Face to Face meetings with Various Provincial Government Ministers to discuss issues facing our membership
- Negotiations with Various client groups to revise, improve contract language;
- Advocacy with Manitoba Association of Architects for improved Contracts for our Members
- Discussions with Manitoba Association of Architects on areas of mutual concern including the role of Prime Consultant
- Discussions with APEGM on a variety of topics including promotion, PD, and licensing
- Development of the Engineering Hall of Fame at the University of Manitoba
- Discussions with the University of Manitoba on Entrance Requirements, Co-op programs, Graduate Requirements to name a few areas
- Promotion of Qualifications based selection
- Participation on the Manitoba Common Ground Alliance
- Quality of Documents discussions with Manitoba Builders
- Revisions to the Manitoba Land Surveyors Act
ACEC Manitoba is your association, we thrive and are effective only as a direct result of the combined efforts and participation of volunteers form our member firms. In the coming year, your association will be communicating with our membership in a more direct and regular way, to ensure that our members are well informed about the associations activities, and programs. In return, we will be asking for more interaction with the members. We need your feedback and comments on everything that we do. We want to know what issues our members are facing, and we need to respond quickly and in a meaningful way to those needs. We also need your help in volunteering on various committees, and ad hoc committees, no one understands the needs of our businesses better than our members, no one can champion those issues better than our members.
In concluding this message, I want to remind you that your Association is here to promote the business interests of the Consulting Engineers of Manitoba; and to promote the application of engineering for the benefit of Society. We do this through uniting our member companies together for the common good, pooling your knowledge and expertise, and we do this through the generous support of our volunteers, and we encourage each of you to join with us, and take on an active responsibility to make our Association, and our membership stronger.
Ken R. Drysdale, P.Eng., P.E.